This blog is going to be about the article on the 10 most amazing Chemical Reactions. I am going to explain which chemical reaction is an actual chemical reaction and which one is not because not every member of the list is an actual chemical reaction. Then I will provide balanced chemical equations for the actual chemical reactions, including the type of reaction involved which is decomposition, combustion, etc. Finally I will choose my favorite chemical reaction from the author’s list and why I liked it over the others.
1.The chemical reaction beginning at the bottom of the list is a chemical reaction due to a change in color but this doesn’t help when color changes are also present in both chemical and physical changes. We can’t figure out a chemical equation because there weren’t any specific chemicals given.
2. The next reaction going up the list is also a chemical reaction due to its smoke and fire which would cause this chemical reaction to be a single replacement metathesis and is also redox: Fe2O3 + 2Al = Al2O3 + 2Fe
3. This reaction which includes superfluid helium isn’t a chemical reaction, because phase changes, like gas to liquid, aren’t chemical changes.
4. In this reaction there isn’t two chemicals involved just the sulfur hexaflouride which results in this also not being a chemical change.
5. In this next reaction, superabsorbent polymers (also known as hydrogels) is not a chemical reaction because the water would remain water when soaked up and the hydrogels would remain the same as well.
6. This also is not a chemical reaction because sodium acetate remains the same even t
7. This isn’t a chemical reaction either due to the fact that there is no indicator other than the change in temperature; there was no gas produced or color change.
8. This is a chemical reaction because gas is produced due to the fact that something is burning. This is known as a combustion reaction as well with a balanced equation of 6KClO3 + C6H12O6 = 6KCl + 6H2O + 6CO2 + 3O2
9. This is also a chemical reaction because again there is something burning which in this case is the magnesium and that shows it is a chemical reaction because gas is produced. This is known as a single replacement metathesis with a balanced equation of 2Mg + CO2 = 2MgO + C
10. This is also a chemical reaction that is again similar to reactions 8 and 9. There is clearly a gas being produced and something new is being created which indicates that it is indeed a chemical reaction. This is also synthesis and redox with a balanced equation of 2Na + Cl2 = 2NaCl.
My favorite chemical reaction had to be the Potassium Chlorate and Candy Reaction (Number 8) because it is a very dramatic display of a chemical reaction! It was mentioned that it was a disinfectant and included in fireworks and explosives. It really caught my attention because I didn’t realize how the combination of a simple piece of candy and some potassium chlorate could cause such an explosive and electrifying reaction. “When potassium chlorate is heated to melting point, any item added to it will cause a rapid disintegration in the form of an explosion”.
Top 10 Amazing Chemical Reactions Article